TYPES OF FOOD YOU SHOULD EAT AND AVOID WHILST ON A KETOGENIC DIET
Hey, are you interested in starting a ketogenic diet (keto diet) but are not sure what to eat whilst on a keto diet? Well you have come to the right place! Listed below you will find simple to follow food that you can eat while on a keto diet as well as food that you should most definitely avoid while on a keto diet!
What is a ketogenic diet?
A Ketogenic Diet is a high-fat and low-carb diet, which involves the drastic change of replacing all carbohydrate intake with fat. A Ketogenic Diets main aim is to force the body into using different forms of fuel. That’s right! You heard right! Instead of relying on fuel such as carbohydrates and sugars, ketogenic diets rely on a form of fuel that the liver produces from stored fat called ketones. It is this reduction of carbohydrates which place the body in a metabolic state called “ketosis”.
Foods to eat while on a keto diet
- Meat- Meat is a great way to get your daily protein intake, however remember that the keto diet is a high fat diet not a high protein diet so do remember to consume regular amounts of meat. Too much protein can result in the body turning the excess into glucose making it harder to get into ketosis.
- Fish and Seafood- All fish is good to consume while on a keto diet! However, if you are looking for especially good fish to consume, fatty fish like salmon are an amazing addition to your lunch or dinner!
- Eggs- Eggs, eggs, eggs have them boiled, friend in butter, omelets or scrambled the point is have em’ anyway you like!
- Natural fat, high fat sauces- Using fat in cooking is also a great way to get your daily amounts of high fat in. While cooking trying using butter or coconut fat! Adding lots and lots of olive oil to salad is also a delicious way to consume healthy fat!
- Vegetables- specifically those growing above the ground- Leafy greens, cabbage cauliflower, avocado, broccoli and zucchini are all yummy vegetable you can eat while on keto! They are a great fat-delivery system which can add flavor, color and variety to your keto meals!
- High- fat dairy- Avoid drinking milk as it does contain carbs although a little in coffee in fine! Butter, high fat cheese and high fat yogurts can be taken in moderation. Heavy cream is a great addition to keto meals and great for cooking too!
- Nuts- Nuts are a great keto snack but be careful to eat the right kind of nuts such as macadamia and pecan nuts as nuts can also contain carbohydrates
Foods to avoid while on keto diet
- Low fat dairy products
- Sugary beverages
- Traditional snacking foods- chips, pretzels and crackers
- Most fruits- except lemon, limes, tomatoes and a just a little amount of berries
- Starchy vegetables
- Most alcohols
- Added sugars and sweeteners
Thank you so very much for stopping by we hope you found what you were looking for! Have a great day!